Friday, November 5, 2010

Taking Risks is Hard

This blog post (click it!!! click. it.), written by Amber Ostler, helped me out a ton. You're probably asking "what do you mean?" Well, if you do read it, it might make a bit more sense. It may even help you out. Last weekend I had the honor of going to our school's Sadie Hawkins Dance. What a blast! My best 3 girl friends and I planned and prepared and worked really hard and were super nervous about how it was going to turn out. Really... we were nervous. But everything worked out nicely and thank goodness, we're pretty sure that all of the boys had a good time, because us girls surely did. I took a risk in who I asked. Tanner Greer. It was so much fun. I had a great time, but I'm still not quite sure how he felt about it... haha, I mean, let's be honest, I asked him several times if he was having a good time. He said yes every time, but you can never be too sure!!! And you know what else? This was basically the hardest part for me, the fact that I felt like he was connecting with everyone in the group, EXCEPT for me... It was hilarious when him and Carly went off on an Eragon tangent during dinner for like 10 minutes. It was extremely funny.


Here are a few things that I observed while on my date with Tanner:


  • He walks really fast.... (he's 6'3"... he has a very long stride...)
  • He makes me look like I'm 4"0' (okay, not really... that's just what my dad said after I showed him all the pictures... haha)
  • He likes to tell stories (this also told me that he was feeling at least a bit more comfortable)
  • He was on a fantasy obsession in 5th grade. (even though I kind of already knew that... don't ask... haha)
  • He doesn't like tomatoes (at least not in his salad)
  • And even though he dressed as a devil for Halloween, he still loves Jesus <3 (inside joke, I guess... haha)

We haven't talked since Saturday night, which is kind of depressing and totally defeats the purpose of the night, but it created great memories for me. And if we were meant to become super incredible, attached to the hip friends, we would have. But no regrets to anything. I had a good time and it was great for me. 


Another thing... I also think that dances should be used (as well as dating in general) to get to know people better and make new friends and to just have a good time. I have no problem going on dates with my really good friends (and let's be honest, it's a lot more comfortable... :P), but it's almost like I lose an opportunity to make a new friend, which is why I chose to ask Tanner to Sadies. And also why Kallie asked Sean to Sadies. (We made a deal that if she asked Sean, I had to ask Tanner. People we wanted to get to know better ya know?) 

Taking chances is hard and it makes you vulnerable, but you have to put yourself out there or you don't learn anything. You have to take the best out of life and just say "Wow, I made a mistake... well, next time, I'll take into consideration this and this." As Mrs. Crampton says (my English teacher), "Thank God we're human and we make mistakes. I'm glad we're not perfect so that we can still learn from our poor choices" (or something along those lines... she always says this in class and it makes me happy).


Would you consider yourself a risky person? What do you even consider a risky person? What kind of qualities do they have? Is it like a skill that can be developed? Or is it something that somebody just... has? Think about it... maybe taking a chance and putting yourself out there can be the best or maybe even the worst thing you ever do. Are you willing to take it?

My name is Savanna Skinner and I've taken a chance and I plan on taking another one. 

2 comments:

  1. Although my blog is all about taking chances, and you will find this on my blog, I thought I'd post it here in case you missed reading it, because I think it pertains to you somewhat :)
    There comes a time when you must stand alone.
    You must feel confident enough within yourself to follow your own dreams.
    You must be willing to make sacrifices.
    You must be capable of changing and rearranging your priorities so that your final goal can be achieved.
    Sometimes, familiarity and comfort need to be challenged.
    There are times when you must take a few extra chances and create your own realities.
    Be strong enough to at least try to make your life better.
    Be confident enough that you won't settle for a compromise just to get by.
    Appreciate yourself by allowing yourself the opportunities to grow, develop, and find your true sense of purpose in this life.
    Don't stand in someone elses shadow when it's your sunlight that should lead the way. <3 You Savanna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out Savanna! I am glad you took a risk too. It has taken me 31 years to be brave and you are 15 years ahead of me, so that makes you extra brave!

    ReplyDelete