Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Million Dollar Tooth

Let me tell you AAAAAAALL about my morning. It was rather adventurous.
So I went to the oral surgeon this morning thinking that I would get my tooth moved up all the way and then they would chain it to my braces and let it wait to fuse to the bone.

I get to the oral surgeon's and they took me into the room that I would have the procedure done. Dr. Park walks in and he asks me how I'm doing and stuff and then we get talking and he says, "So am I on your top 100?"

Haha, what a question for a doctor to ask. Especially one that's done a total of three surgeries on my mouth before. I said... maybe. Probably not after this surgery... And then we both laughed.

I wasn't put under... they just gave me a local anesthetic. I closed my eyes so I couldn't see the needle for the shots. It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't comfortable WHATSOEVER. So I was awake for the whole thing. Dr. Park got my tooth up and right where it needed to be (which hurt terribly) with lots of pressure. Then it hurt really bad so he gave me another shot to numb my mouth even further. 

He heard something pop as he was moving the tooth...
They took a quick x-ray of the right side of my mouth.
My mouth was numb and my body shaking.
(Nothing to worry about. Don't worry.)
They pulled up the x-ray.
Here's a summarization of the conversation.

Savanna: What's going on Doc?
Dr. Park: Well, Savanna, we've done so much to your tooth that it has broken under the stress. We're gonna have to remove it now. Even after all that we've had to put you through.


My Brain: WOOHOO!!!!!
              No more waiting for it to fuse to the bone.
              No waiting for it to stay in it's place.

Savanna: *sarcastically* I told you that we should've just taken it out in the first place!
Dr. Park: *laughs* Well, we were trying to save that tooth, but you should be fine. They'll just give you a retainer that will keep the top tooth in the back from growing any further.
Savanna: Alright, sounds good to me.
Dr. Park: Okay, well, we're gonna go get your mom to tell her what's going on.
Savanna: Okay.

*Mom walks in the room*

Savanna: Mom, they gotta pull the tooth!

*mom laughs*
Mom: After all of that?
Savanna: *smiling* Yup! He broke it.
Dr. Park: *explains how the tooth has be traumatized and broke and ya-da ya-da*
Erica (the assistant to the doctor): Are you gonna want laughing gas?
Savanna: Um... no?
Mom: Yeah, you'll probably want it.
Savanna: Well, I've never had it before...
Mom: You're probably gonna want it so that you don't have to focus on it so much when he yanks that tooth out.

My Brain: Oh great.
Savanna: Fine. Give it to me.

I was just a little worried. Not too bad though.
Just wasn't quite sure what to expect.
Dr. Park had suggested it before after he had first found out that he was going to have to pull the tooth. He said that it would be hilarious to have me put on laughing gas cause he already thinks I'm hysterical, even when I'm not doped up on drugs. I just so happen to come up with the wittiest stuff to say when I'm at the oral surgeons (and the orthodontists).

Dr. Park went next door to talk to Dr. Trapnell (my orthodontist) to tell him what had happened and everything. They had put me on laughing gas, which I found out was nitrous oxide. (I asked the nurse... no biggy. Haha, I was curious okay?)

A few minutes later, my entire body was vibrating.
Okay, not really.
It felt really weird.
My back hurt...
and the chair was uncomfortable.
I probably sat there for 15-20 minutes before Dr. Park came in again.
I'm always trying to crack a joke with that guy.
It's rather fun.
He's awesome. :)

Savanna: Dr. Park? Am I on your top 100?
Dr. Park: Oh yeah. I can't even remember most of my patients names but whenever someone says your name, I know exactly who you are.
Savanna: *laughs* Awesome.

I smiled. I love those guys. The orthodontists are the same way. I'm always cracking a joke with them. It's so fun. :)

So they pull the tooth. Which hurt... again. But I was a little out of it so I didn't notice as much. The piece that had broken, they made sure that they had gotten it out of there. I asked if I could keep the tooth, so they bagged it up for me and put it in with my prescription and my gauze (to be changed every 20 minutes! haha) It's a pretty big tooth... I mean, it is one of my 12 year molars. It's pretty sweet. I took a picture of it for you (of course)

Pretty gross, huh?
We call it the million dollar tooth.

They put some oxygen through the tubes to clear my system a bit of the laughing gas. I made them take it off of me before I was completely clear of the stuff because I hate being forced to breathe, ya know? It's just weird. So we head over to the orthodontists because I had an appointment today anyways. I was in a really good mood. I mean... something about that gas stuff made me over the edge of happiness. I was on the edge of hyper almost. Not quite, but almost. So walk into the front of the office and Kanani was there and she said that they would take care of me. They put me in the office as to be away from everyone else. I had specifically said, "I don't want anyone to touch my mouth except for Dr. Trapnell or maybe Mallory." (I really can't remember how to spell her name...  I may come back to fix it once I find out.)

Dr. Trapnell came into the room and said, "Oh, Savanna!" And he gave me a hug. Muchly needed. They care about me. If your kids, or yourself need braces... I would definitely refer you to them. They're so nice and they are just all around good people and they take good care of you!

So he checked my teeth.
He said this and that and I don't really remember everything that he said.
Malorie was changing the bands on my teeth.
Then he said,
"I've saved the best news for last. Next time we can take your braces off."
Yep, I screamed WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!! in all the excitement.
(Even with the gauze in my mouth aaand.... Mallory's hands... haha)
Praise the Lord. Let's get me in there ASAP.
So I'm not going tell anyone when I'm getting my braces off. I've only told one person (besides my parents) and that's how it's going to stay. Period the end.
It could be next week,
or it could be 6 weeks from now.
You just never know when it comes to the orthodontist.
But let me tell you.
I would take a picture of myself to show you,
but I look kind of ridiculous right now.
I'm really tired
and I'm ready to go to sleep.
But I had to blog first so that I didn't forget anything!
I took a Lortab (lovely stuff).
And the right side of my mouth is beginning to retain feeling again.
Then Mom took me to Maceys and we got food.
Lots of food.
(I didn't wake up early enough to eat breakfast... heehee)
And she bought me ice cream... my favorite kind TOO :)
(maple nut in case you were wondering...) 
but that's for later, when I can enjoy it a little bit easier.
So yep. THat's the story of my day. :)
Sorry this post is long.
But I tried to make it as enjoyable as I could.
I enjoyed writing it,
so hopefully you'll enjoy reading it!
Come and visit me if you would like.
I'll be home till 5!
Oh and by the way...
Life is Good!
(especially now that the feeling is returning to my mouth!)

No comments:

Post a Comment