Monday, September 5, 2011

Do you need a reality check?

I have this philosophy about life. In fact, I have a lot, and Maddi and Nikki think that I have too many, but this one, this one is important and essential to my life-long sanity.

Many people notice (or don't) that I wear my hair "up" a lot. In fact, more often than not. I'll just twist my bangs back and then tie my hair back into a bun. Easy, comfortable and doesn't look too bad. Well, let's be honest, sometimes I don't feel "pretty" or "beautiful" but I don't have to be either of those to be confident in myself. I don't think that I'm ugly by any means, but it's all apart of how I trust people. Every once in a while I will straighten my hair for school, but that's for me. Not anyone else. That's for me to look at myself in the mirror and say, "I look good today and no one can tell me otherwise".

Don't get the wrong idea, I can tie my hair back and say, "I look good today and no one can tell me otherwise" too, but when I take the time to get ready, I feel that much better about myself. Granted, I'll probably have my hair up by the end of the day cause it starts to bother me when it gets in my face and I'm trying to do something, but I made an effort so shouldn't that count for something? Same thing goes with putting on "stylish" clothes. I'm totally comfortable in a t-shirt and a pair of jeans, or even a t-shirt and a pair of SWEATS (for crying out loud!). I've even been told by a guy that he respects the fact that I wear sweats to school occassionally and he likes that about girls. (Totally made my day, by the way.)

Dress and appearance is important to me, but to be perfectly honest, I want people to see me for who I really am and I think it's easier for one to look past the looks and the clothes and the hairstyles and look at someone's personality rather than their body. We should be dressing nicely and getting ready and taking care of ourselves for OURSELVES, not for anyone else.

Fact: I will get ready to hang out with one of my best friends, because I know and have heard him say that he doesn't care what I look like. He appreciates me for me. He will tell me that he appreciates it when I get ready for a date or ready to just hang out with him. And that's exactly why I do it. Do you get the point yet?

If your "friends" judge you by the way you look and talk and think, honey, I'm sorry, but you need new friends.

Or if you judge your friends by the way they look and talk and think, honey, I'm sorry, but you need a reality check. You are not a friend.

Definition of "friend", (yep, I looked it up in the dictionary): a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard

This is the "not a friend" definition, (I didn't need to look this one up in the dictionary...): a person attached to another by clothes, what they look like and how much money they have

Everyone single person in this world should be able to walk out of their house wearing slippers, a pair of sweats, and a baggy t-shirt with their hair pulled back or uncombed and not care what the rest of the world thinks. 

Unfortunately, not everyone is so lucky...

1 comment:

  1. So agreed! It's taken me years, but I've finally gotten to the point that I dress up for myself, not to impress everyone else, and it's soo freeing! It just makes you so much happier not feeling like you have to work so hard to make people like you, but that people like you just for who you are :)

    ReplyDelete