So let me tell you exactly WHY I love writing and receiving letters. And why not make it into a list? Because I obviously LOVE lists and I obviously LOVE procrastinating studying for my midterm tomorrow... gah, let's face it, there's no hope for me.
Why I Love Giving and Receiving Letters
- I love writing letters because I am able to spend the time thinking about what to say to someone. Of course this is a lot different than speaking words because they are able to hold it and the tangible feeling is always more sentimental.
- When I can help it, I prefer to hand-write my letters, but if I don't have the time to write out everything that needs to be said, I simply type the letter and send it off in an envelope, but that's only if I'm really in desperate need to save some time. (I could also spare some time on Facebook. . .anyone have any ideas to get rid of that bad habit?) Needless to say though, I print off the letter that I type and send it (either in an envelope if they are along distant away or in an envelope if they are close to home - I love envelopes. They're so convenient.) I try VERY hard not to email any letters if I can help it, (depending on who/what it's for) just because I know that I would prefer to hold the letter in my hands and read it rather than reading it off the computer screen. Of course the words and the meaning would be the same, but the tangibility just adds to the sentimentality of the entire letter.
- I love being able to tell someone about my day through a letter. It's nice to know that someone cares enough to hear about what's going on in your life and it's also nice to let out a breather and be able to release some feelings through writing, especially if you know someone is on the receiving end and you're not just talking to yourself.
- There's always a nice feeling when you are able to tell someone all the great things about themselves. It's amazing to know that someone was able to smile because of you.
- There is just something about a pen in my hand and flowing across the paper. I have pretty nice handwriting and so it's fun to look back on it and look at it. Weird, I know. Don't judge.
- It's nice to get exciting things in the mail too. I love sending pictures or using fun paper. I have recently sent several pictures as well as using yellow paper and neon orange paper. It just makes it all the more fun to send the letters.
- I found the COOLEST stamps EVER. They're amazing. They have Disney characters on them. Disney-Pixar characters that is. They're pretty much the coolest thing EVER. :)
- I feel as though nothing is better than receiving a letter. It's a reminder that someone cares about you enough to take the time out of their day to write you a letter/note letting you know that they were thinking about you and that they cared enough to express it to you.
- I love looking in the mailbox every day to just find my parents bills and newpaper ads stuffed in the tiny compartment (not!) but I love being able to look through the envelopes and find one with my name on it. There's just something so fascinating about it. It's marvelous.
- I love my name on the envelope because it just reassures me that it's mine and no one elses. (I'm kind of greedy that way. . .)
- I love the thoughtfulness that is put into letters, just knowing that they were thinking of me the entire time while writing it.
- I don't know about you, but I like unique things in letters. The most current letter that I've received in the mail - about half of it was written with a typewriter. Seriously SO AWESOME. It's not every day that you receive a letter typed up like it would have been in the 1800s through the early 1900s. Even though that was cool, I still prefer the hand-written letters. I think it's the handwriting to suffice as who they are when they're writing it. I don't know, nostalgia maybe?